, , ,

Ava was born so swiftly and in such a controlled manner, it made the birth of Amelia a little foggy to remember. Because Amelia was transverse, we had opted to attempt an internal podalic versionto turn her body around to deliver. When I first did research on internal version, it seemed pretty simple. Oh! After Ava is delivered he’ll reach in and grab Amelias feet, turn her around, and she’ll deliver that way! No big deal.

I should have researched more.

I want to take a second now to officially worship my OB. Most would have rushed to c-section, and of those that attempted the version many would have had a much worse outcome. It is only because of the incredible skill of my OB and the awesome team of support he assembled that we ended up with as happy an outcome as we did. His actions and skills are the only reason today is as awesome as it is.

Ava was whisked away and P-Daddy followed her grumpy little body over to the warmer to get all rubbed down. Each girl had a team of nurses so I still had a nurse at each foot, one at my right elbow, my husband at my left leg, and an anesthesiologist at my head. As soon as Ava was out of sight the anesthesiologist asked for and got permission to add a bolus to my epidural line as I had most of my sensation present. Then my OB went to work. For the next 19 minutes I got to play the part of the hand puppet while my very skilled doctor did all he could to coax miss Amelia to turn her body around. That little lady was just comfortable being where she was! The skill involved for this procedure still blows my mind. He had to be very forceful inside and out, trying to coax her body around while still being very cautious not rupture her membranes or to cause placental abruption for either Ava’s still intact placenta or Amelias still hard working one. Most of the time he was forearm deep trying to get that little lady around, with another strong arm on top. As soon as he’d get her close, she’d slip back. It was a very hard 19 minutes, and I will forever be in awe of my awesome husband for his support during that ordeal. He was this pillar of strength at my side, someone I could lean my face in to and pant while my lungs felt “punched” from the inside, a hand I could squeeze all I needed, a whisper of reassurance. Later he told me it was the hardest thing he’d ever done, and I will never forget that he did it for me. My rock.

Finally my OB got her feet to stay down, and her membranes were ruptured so that her body could be coaxed out in to the light. Several times during the version procedure Amelias heart rate was checked and she never had a big stressed moment ( which is the only reason he continued on past the normal 5 minutes he’d allotted for this type of thing). But when her body came out… and her head didn’t……….

There are no pictures of Amelias birth. The whole room kind of held it’s breath for a bit there. The one thing that I remember vividly.. actually I think it’s my most vivid, real, memory of the whole birth… was seeing that tiny blue body, so so still, for so so long. I don’t have any words to really describe those two minutes in time.  I don’t think anyone who sees that; who thinks what many of us were thinking; I don’t think there are words.  No matter how he maneuvered her, her head wasn’t coming out that way. It had been a good two minutes since her last heart rate check. What if the stress of the version, or what if her cord.. what if what if what if…..? A hurried tray was brought over and a 2rd degree medial episiotomy was cut ( which extended to a 3rd degree when) Forceps were applied and miss Amelia was brought fully in to the world. Still so quiet. Still so… still. She was rushed away to the second team of nurses while I was left on the table with no cry to comfort me. From what I remember P-Daddy had stayed over by the warmers cuddling his sweet Ava during this time and was right there when they brought Amelia over. I am told she started breathing right away, just needed a little bit of oxygen.  Her APGAR’s were 3 and 6. Her first cry that I could hear was 3 or 4 minutes later, and it was quite the welcome sound! Daddy and the ladies quickly left the operating room to head for the nursery to have the ladies assessed.

My husband stayed by my side for the next hour and twenty minutes while I was sewn up and the placentas were delivered. Despite the many reassurances from my support team that both girls were fine, that Amelia was fine that no one was sickly and that in fact Ava was quite feisty despite her tiny stature~ no amount of reassurance was as comforting as the moment when P-Daddy wheeled this little cart in to my room a few minutes after I got there. A little cart with two tiny, pink, happy, healthy little bundles on top.  The look on his face told me in no uncertain terms that the girls were fine.

And they were. They are. Perfectly perfect in every way, those tiny little fighters only stayed in the hospital for four days. Today, they went to the “Twin Mansion” to grow a little fatter before they fly home to Norway in a few weeks. Their birth was not what I’d wanted. Not what I’d planned. But I wouldn’t change one second of it, because today? Today there are two incredible little princesses happily screaming and pooping and spitting up on their equally incredible father, all because of that birth.

I wouldn’t change one thing.